Northern Territory Regional Sports Volunteer Awards
The 2021 NT Regional Sports Volunteer Awards aim to acknowledge volunteers who supported, led or remained committed to their sport during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Awards are open to volunteers right across the Territory – remote, regional and urban.
Recognising the initiatives implemented throughout the COVID-19 lock down and the efforts to get grass roots sports back up and running as the community transitioned to a new normal.
Nominations have now closed.
Award ceremonies to recognise nominated volunteers will be held in:
- Katherine – 15 July 2021
- Darwin – 22 July 2021
- Nhulunbuy – 30 July 2021
- Alice Springs (postponed until further notice)
Due to the Chief Health Officer's direction for Alice Springs to enter a 72 hour lockdown, effective from 1 pm Wednesday 30 June, the Northern Territory Regional Sports Volunteer Awards for Central Australia planned for 1 July at the Marion Centre, have been postponed.
We would like to thank all our nominees and the Sport and Recreation sector for your enthusiasm in attending and support of the Central Australian Awards, and we will be scheduling a new date when it is a suitable time to proceed with community events.
We maintain that the health and safety of the community is priority during this time and we are committed to doing our part to help protect Central Australians during this period.
We look forward to recognising the Award recipients at a future date and their efforts in 2020 that were integral to the continuation of sport in Central Australia and the wellbeing of many Territorians during the pandemic.
The 2021 awards include the categories listed below.
Volunteer Member/Group Award
Awarded to an individual or group of volunteers who have displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their club/organisation throughout the response to COVID-19.
This category recognises volunteer contributions in non-coaching and non-officiating roles.
Volunteer Coach Award
Awarded to an individual who has displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their club/organisation throughout the response to COVID-19 in a volunteer coaching role.
This category recognises volunteer contributions in unpaid coaching roles.
Volunteer Official Award
Awarded to an individual who has displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their club/organisation throughout the response to COVID-19 in a volunteer officiating role.
This category recognises volunteer contributions in unpaid officiating roles.
An official is defined as any person who controls the running of a competition by applying the rules and laws of the sport. An official can go by many names including referee, scorer, linesperson, umpire, judge, technical official, chair umpire, timekeeper, tournament director or marshal. Sport officials also include managers, supervisors or coaches of officials. Not included are persons in roles related to sport/team/event administration/management or announcers.
Remote Community Volunteer Award
Awarded to an individual or group who have displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their remote community throughout the response to COVID-19.
Nominations must be related to contributions and achievements undertaken and implemented within the community for sports related activities.
Nominations must be related to contributions and achievements undertaken and implemented by volunteers as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Information about the following should be provided:
- Achievements and contribution to the organisation and their sporting community throughout the response to COVID-19.
- Key benefits and/or impacts of the nominee’s contributions and the value of this to the organisation.
Nominees currently residing outside of the Northern Territory will be considered, however, the nomination must be associated with sports volunteering activities in the Northern Territory from 1 January 2020 until 31 December 2020.
Nominees for the Remote Community Volunteer Award must be a resident within their remote community and nominations relevant to unpaid volunteer contributions from 1 January 2020 until 31 December 2020.
More than one hundred of the Territory’s band of committed, unsung sporting volunteers will be acknowledged at the Northern Territory Regional Sports Volunteer Awards held throughout July and August.
After a false start due to the recent COVID-19 lockdown, the awards will kick off in Katherine on Thursday 15 July 2021.
These committed volunteers are recognised for their efforts to get grassroots sports back up and running as communities transitioned to a new normal during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
Please join us in congratulating all recipients for their outstanding contribution and achievements right across the Territory.
Award ceremony – Thursday 15 July
- Melinda Whelan - Touch Football
- Nicole Simmonds - Athletics
- Pru Ducey - Swimming
- Sonya Arnold - Pony Club
- Rebecca Thomsen - Motorsports
- Katherine Tennis Club
Award ceremony – Thursday 22 July
- Gary Wall - Triathlon
- Tony Cox - Triathlon
- Ruth Laker - Netball
- Monique Lord - Skydiving
- Diane Trimble - Hockey
- Garry Dempsey - Motorsport
- Bert Lukitsch - Volleyball
- Brenton Ascoli - Polocrosse
- Tracy Koch - Surf Life Saving
- Carleen Mitchell - Netball
- Tanya Kerrison - Volleyball
- Byron Davis - Boxing
- Joanna Bailey - Athletics
- Rebecca Dunbar - Rugby Union, AFL, Rugby League
- Robyn On - Swimming
- Nicole Willis - Netball
- Susanne Brutsch - Show Jumping
- Karen Murphy - AFL
- Ruth Hanssen - Equestrian, Pony Club
- John Stark - Badminton
- Toni Eyles - AFL
- Andrew Christianson - Cricket
- Julie Bliss - Horse Riding
- Jodie Andrews - Hockey
- Maryanne Sharp - Gymnastics
- Julie Cadd - Horse Riding
- Pauline McKenzie - Horse Riding
- Donna Mitchell - Rugby League
- Brett Maksimovic - Basketball
- Gregory Holman - Football
- Jody (Skip) Hall - Surf Life Saving
- Sally Talbot - Netball
- Craig Brown - Judo
- Alyce Casilli - Netball
- Michelle Cody - Golf
- Stephen Hall - Judo
- Keith Francis - Golf
- Emanuel Siriotis - Basketball
- Kevin Humphreys - Rugby Union
- Matthew Willes - Rugby League
- Jeremy Chin - Athletics
- Lesley Stowers - Basketball
- Steven Woolston - Lawn Bowls
- Gayle Nairn - Netball
- Danila Lochrin - Dressage
- Brenda Henderson - Netball
- Kylie Bell - Netball
- Jodi Triggs - Dressage
- Commerce Pints Hockey Club
- Rural Athletics Centre
- Waratah Football Club, AFL
- Darwin Roller Girls Committee
- Top End Judo Academy
- Darwin Volleyball Association
- Darwin Netball Association
- Tin Shed Gang - Golf Australia NT
- Ellas Titans Basketball Club
- Darwin Dressage Club
- Litchfield Bears Rugby League Club
- Darwin Show Jumping Club
- Berrimah Riding Club
Award ceremony – Monday 30 August
East Arnhem recipients:
- Davin Blundell - Volleyball
- Samantha Honey - Netball
- Alice Doyle - Swimming
- Esther Rika - Golf
- Jonetani Rika - Golf
- Natalie Pangquee - Touch Football
- Susanne Cullen - Golf
- Gove Boat Club Regatta Volunteers
Award ceremony - postponed until further notice
- Brian Vidler - Baseball
- Annette Cunningham - Baseball
- Shilo Barry - Football
- Dennis Goodwin - Boxing
- Nathan Bell - Boxing
- Alison Kain - Equestrian
- Lyn Ansell - Badminton
- Michael Trull - Cricket
- Thea Dunkley - BMX
- John Gaynor - Netball
- Shannan Ryan - Cricket
- Cheryl Talbot - Netball
- Jason Lord - Boxing
- Brad Bellette - BMX
- Emily Knott - Swimming
- Trudy Robertson - Golf
- Tuakura Ford - Basketball
- Deb Gray - Netball
- Zoran Elliott - Motocross
- Lynne Blom - Gymnastics
- Allan Page - Gymnastics
- Rawinia Schwalger - Netball
- Marc Woods - Trail Running
- Thorny Devils - Coordinators
- Alice Springs Hockey Association
- Alice Springs Celtic Football Club
- Stormbirds Soccer Club
- Alice Springs Equestrian Management Group
- Alice Springs Dressage Club
- Ray Wallis - AFL
- Delaicee Hansen - Softball
Find out more about the 2021 NT Regional Sports Volunteer Awards categories and selection criteria here.
To nominate, go to the NT Regional Sports Volunteer Awards website.
Last updated: 05 August 2021
Share this page:URL copied!