Sport and active recreation
Sport and Active Recreation (SAR) invests in and facilitates the development of sport and active recreation across the Northern Territory. This is done through a range of activities involving the provision of information, advice, services, programs and funding. SAR is also responsible for representing the Territory’s interests in policy and decision making forums regarding sport and active recreation development and delivery at a national level.
Key SAR activities include:
- providing support for the delivery of quality sport and active recreation programs and events across urban, regional and remote communities, including governance and management advice and assistance to Northern Territory Peak Sporting Bodies (PSBs), affiliated associations and Active Recreation Organisations (AROs)
- leading the delivery of talent identification and nationally categorised athlete, coach, official and other sport personnel development programs through the Territory Sports Academy (TSA)
- management of major sport and active recreation infrastructure, including Hidden Valley Motor Sports Complex, the Marrara Indoor Stadium and the Leanyer and Palmerston Water Parks
- management of the NT Sports Awards held annually to recognise the achievements of Territory athletes, coaches, officials and volunteers
- administering sport and active recreation grants such as the Grass Roots and Quick Response programs; PSB and ARO annual funding; the Sport Voucher and the Learn to Swim Voucher schemes; and TSA athlete, coach and official scholarships
- leading the development, coordination and monitoring of sport integrity strategy, policy, processes, programs and resources across the Northern Territory encompassing, but not restricted to, areas such as anti-doping, match-fixing, member protection and inclusion.
Last updated: 08 March 2019
Share this page:URL copied!