Office of Disability
For current information related to COVID-19 please visit:
- Australian Government's Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for people with disabilities
- Northern Territory (NT) Government's Coronavirus (COVID-19) website
- Information and support for National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) participants - the website includes easy read information.
The Office of Disability supports Territorians with a disability, including those that are not eligible for the NDIS, through:
- whole of government disability policy and program development
- ongoing contribution to the implementation of the NDIS in the NT and monitoring and reporting against the NDIS
- grant funding to organisations for the provision of peak body operations, advocacy and information services, and awards programs on the Northern Territory Government website
- secretariat and support to the NT Disability Advisory Committee.
Information about disability services including the NT Companion Card can be found on the Northern Territory Government website.
The vision of the Office of Disability is for an inclusive society where people have productive and fulfilling lives as valued members of our communities. The Office of Disability is guided in its work by:
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disability
- The National Disability Strategy.
The Office of Disability works in partnership with key stakeholders to provide the above functions, these include:
- people with disability and their families and carers
- non-government disability service providers
- local government
- peak bodies
- Northern Territory Government agencies
- National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA).
The following legislation covers disability rights, carer rights and disability services.
- Disability Services Act 1993
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1992
- Guardianship of Adults Act 2016
- Carers Recognition Act 2006.
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013
- Australian Human Rights Commission website.
Office of Disability
Phone: 08 8999 2809
Last updated: 17 November 2020
Share this page:URL copied!