Model of care
This model of care will guide how staff and others care for young people in the centres. It includes:
- What the centres are aiming to do
- What kind of people and programs will work in the centres
- How the centres will work to care for young people.
The model of care includes 2 key objectives:
- support a safe and secure environment for young people, staff, visitors and the community
- facilitate a therapeutic, trauma-informed and culturally-appropriate service to:
- improve the wellbeing of young people
- reduce reoffending.
The model of care also supports the key changes already made in response to the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory.
These key changes were influenced by stakeholder consultation and include:
- changes to relevant legislation
- new specialised youth justice workforce
- improvements to staff training
- more programs and services for young people in youth detention centres
- construction of 2 new, fit-for-purpose youth detention centres.
For more information, get the model of care .
Last updated: 03 October 2022
Share this page:URL copied!