Youth detention centres
Territory Families, Housing and Communities operates 2 youth detention centres in the Northern Territory (NT).
These centres accommodate young people who are on remand or have been sentenced.
This includes the:
- Don Dale Youth Detention Centre in Darwin
- Alice Springs Youth Justice Centre.
To better meet the needs of young people in youth detention, staff and visitors, changes are also being made.
Find out more below. You can also read about the youth detention census.
Construction is in progress for a new Youth Justice Centre in Darwin at a greenfield site at 498 Taylor Road, Holtze.
It will replace the Don Dale Youth Detention Centre and
- is in line with the recommendations made in 2017 by the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the NT
- will have facilities that are secure, safe, robust and durable
- will meet the therapeutic and rehabilitative needs of young people.
Scheduled completion is 2023.
For more information on the Don Dale Youth Detention Centre, go to the NT Government website.
The redevelopment of the existing Alice Springs Youth Detention Centre is also currently in progress.
It will improve the:
- general amenity, security and safety for young people and staff
- centre's ability to deliver therapeutic programs aimed at rehabilitating young people.
Completion is scheduled for 2022.
Read more about the Alice Springs Youth Detention Centre on the NT Government website.
Last updated: 09 August 2022
Share this page:URL copied!