Remote housing maintenance

To keep houses safe, it is important that they are maintained and repaired as quickly as possible, when required.

The Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities is currently responsible for repairs and maintenance of remote public housing.

The department has engaged contractors to deliver tenancy management, and repairs and maintenance services, in remote communities. For minor repairs and maintenance items that do not need a qualified tradesman such as a plumber or electrician, there are currently housing maintenance officers.

Housing inspections are conducted each year by tenancy contractors, repairs and maintenance contractors and the department.

From 1 July 2021, the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics will be undertaking Housing Maintenance Services on behalf of the Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities.

A new Housing Maintenance Services model will be phased in following the transition, which will include a dedicated contractor for a community, or cluster of communities, who will allocate the works accordingly.  It is important to note that staff will not be required to relocate under the arrangements.

You will be advised before any changes are made to the way you report any repairs and maintenance issues.

You can continue reporting repairs and maintenance issues to your local housing maintenance officer or the local community housing officer. Alternatively you can contact the Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities.

If something breaks or stops working you should report it straight away.

Some things will be fixed more quickly than others. Things that are dangerous will be repaired as a priority such as:

  • blocked toilets, blocked drains, or sewage leaks
  • leaking water mains and pipes
  • exposed electrical wires
  • gas leaks.

You should also report things like:

  • dripping taps or taps that are tight to turn
  • stove elements that are not working
  • fans that are not working properly
  • power points that are not working.

The sooner you report the item to your housing officer, the sooner it can be fixed.

You can read about repairs and maintenance, on the Northern Territory Government website.

Last updated: 17 May 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!