A message from the Minister for Disabilities
It is my honour to present the Northern Territory Disability Strategy 2022-2032 (strategy) and the associated 3-year Action Plan 2022-2025 (action plan).
This strategy is the first of its kind in the Northern Territory (NT), and demonstrates our genuine commitment to an inclusive Territory where people with disability are valued, respected and can contribute to community, no matter where we live.
The strategy is a whole of government commitment that outlines the responsibilities of all sectors of government to meet their obligations under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
It also aligns with the Australia's Disability Strategy 2021-2031 to ensure people with disability have equitable access to services and opportunities to participate in the community.
Through increased community awareness and a shared vision for an inclusive society, I know that together we can:
- reduce disability inequity
- create a foundation for all Territorians living with a disability to lead happier, healthier, safer and more fulfilling lives.
We have based our actions on what we have heard from:
- Territorians with lived experience of disability
- mainstream service providers
- the National Disability Insurance Agency
- specialist disability service providers
- NT Government agencies.
Thank you to all who contributed to the development of the strategy and the first 3-year action plan.
The strategy includes a focus on:
- access for people with disability to mainstream services and the community
- the opportunity for people with disability to reach their potential.
The strategy considers the NT context and the needs of Territorians, with a focus on outcomes for:
- Aboriginal people with disability
- people with disability who live in remote regions of the Territory.
The NT Government will:
- continue its ambition for a Territory that supports all Territorians
- work towards creating a society that removes all barriers for people with disability to live full and prosperous lives.
The Hon Ngaree Ah Kit MLA
Minister for Disabilities
Last updated: 29 September 2022
Share this page:URL copied!