Our alignment to other strategies and plans
The strategy exists alongside and reinforces other international, national and Territory commitments, legislation, and strategies that will contribute to improved outcomes for people with disability.
Australia has ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Australia’s Disability Strategy 2021-31 (ADS) sets a national agenda for change and translates the UN Convention into Australian priorities.
The strategy draws from the UN Convention and ADS and adapts them to the Northern Territory (NT) context, setting a local path of reform.
Other national and Territory reforms also interact with the strategy and will help to increase access and inclusion for people with disability.
For example, the National Agreement on Closing the Gap has informed the strategy and will help Aboriginal Australians with disability and their communities to get the services they need and support their right to self-determination as partners in service delivery.
In the Territory, a range of strategies and initiatives contribute to meeting the needs of Territorians with disability.
The Territory also has responsibilities under our own legislation, including the:
- Disability Services Act 1993
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1992
- Guardianship of Adults Act 2016
- Carers Recognition Act 2006.
These laws provide the legislative framework for the implementation of the strategy.
NT Disability Strategy – disability intersection
The NT Disability Strategy is aligned with and complements the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
It is informed by and informs:
- other NT whole of government frameworks:
- the Social Outcomes Framework
- the NT Aboriginal Justice Agreement
- Closing the Gap NT
- Everyone Together Aboriginal Affairs Strategy.
- as well as sector and agency-specific plans:
- Generational Strategy for Children and Families
- Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence Reduction Strategy
- Department of Education's Framework for Inclusion
- Addressing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in the NT
- Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment's EmployAbility Strategy
- Local Government Strategy
- Gender Equality Action Plan
- NT Housing Strategy
- NT Infrastructure Plan.
Last updated: 29 September 2022
Share this page:URL copied!